The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Manufacturing Plant Manager opportunity, you will need:
- 5+ years of experience as Plant Manager in a manufacturing / industrial environment. Concrete plant experience preferred.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing methodology, Kaizen event planning, Six Sigma quality measures, etc. Six Sigma Green Belt certification (CSSGB) would be a plus, but hands-on experience is key.
- Bilingual ability in English/Spanish
- Solid management experience and skill working with diverse groups, multiple levels, and decentralized departments.
- The ability to develop and help implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), job work instructions and other plant policies.
- Experience managing an operational budget with fixed and variable expenses and CAPEX.
- An ongoing commitment to safety as the top priority.
- Basic knowledge of OSHA regulations and safety requirements.
- Working knowledge of production equipment and machinery.
- A strong collaborative management style that empowers employees.
- Exceptional interpersonal and management skills and the ability to earn credibility and gain buy-in.
- Outstanding relationship-building skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and command of basic math functions.
- Flexibility and solid multitasking skills.
- The ability to work independently and meet goals autonomously, including developing, teaching and following up on improvement activity.
The RoleAs Plant Manager, you will report to the Vice President, Manufacturing and Stone Division, and be responsible for the functional oversight of all production facility activities, with two production shifts totaling 125 employees. You’ll work closely with Purchasing, Engineering, Production, Quality, and other departments to ensure key accountabilities, including the pouring, pulling and packaging of stone products and the maintenance of equipment, are managed effectively, efficiently and with a high standard of quality and safety. Our safety mantra and goal is to achieve “zero harm today,” every day.
You will also directly manage a plant leadership team including the Assistant Plant Manager, who manages Shift Supervisors and Line Leads, and the Maintenance, Purchasing, Inventory, Safety, and Quality Managers. We run two Monday through Friday shifts, with the second shift being a hybrid that overlaps the first for several afternoon hours. The production crew works the day shift, manufacturing stone that will then cure for 8 to 10 hours; the second shift is dedicated to packaging. While maintenance is ongoing, large maintenance projects will be done on the weekend.
Your specific duties will include:
- Directing the production team in all aspects of safety, quality, adherence to production schedule, labor efficiency, waste management and cost.
- Ensuring that the production team adheres to the production schedule while also maintaining the highest levels of safety and quality.
- Improving standards and manufacturing quality by working closely with the QC and QA departments to ensure product quality based on conformance to specification for stone manufacturing plants.
- Ensuring preventive maintenance and timely repair of all production equipment.
- Proactively maintaining safety measures for all production employees and instituting a Safety Committee.
- Overseeing the daily cleaning of all machinery and floor areas.
- Identifying safety and ergonomics opportunities and improving process control.
- Utilizing “Six Sigma” or related statistical process control skills to initiate process improvements.
- Optimizing existing processes to improve plant efficiencies.
- Troubleshooting and resolving process issues as they occur.
- Engaging manufacturing leadership and the Engineering team for support, as required.
- In conjunction with the Purchasing Manager, making sure all raw materials are in good supply.
- Ensuring the Inventory Manager receives accurate reporting of produced goods from all shifts.
- Aggressively addressing quality issues that arise and educating supervisors on remedies.
- Utilizing lean manufacturing concepts to improve labor efficiency.
- Assisting in the hiring of all new production employees.
- Evaluating all plant employees annually.
- Supporting preventative maintenance initiatives to optimize machine uptime.
- Developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) with the support of the Engineering team.
- Supporting the development of job safety / job hazard analyses for production and maintenance personnel.
- Supporting the development of key indicators and metrics that will ultimately tie to plant efficiencies.
- Creating a reporting format to communicate plant efficiency results to plant associates.
What's in It for YouCareer development
showcase your talent and this role could open other doors within the company. This is a role that you can make your own and be challenged for years to come, but if you are hungry to advance, we anticipate opportunities for our proven performers. From this role you could move to a larger plant, pursue a divisional leadership role, or depending upon your skills and goals, follow another path.
Enjoy visibility and make your mark
We kicked off our lean program initiative in October 2012 and are committed to making changes within both our culture and processes. The initiative is backed by Headwaters Corporate and Greencastle is serving as the pilot site, meaning there will be a great deal of visibility at the highest levels. This is a tremendous opportunity for an assistant plant manager with a passion for lean methodology and the mindset to embrace and sustain continuous improvement, to come and in make a mark that will last into the future.
Our people are our most valuable resource
If you're looking for a place where you can make a home, be challenged and grow your career, you've found it! We run collaborative teams, respect individual and team contributions and we know people enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity.
Great place to live and work
If you’re not already familiar with Holmesville, it is a close-knit community with a small-town feel, but you’ll also enjoy all of the amenities of city life nearby. For example, Wooster is just a 20-minute drive, where you’ll find plenty of restaurants and shopping. Venture a little farther and you’ll find we are close to Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Columbus, and the Great Lakes! Relocation assistance may be available to highly qualified candidates.
In addition to a competitive salary we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match.
Pictured: Cultured Stone® veneers are unique design elements that offer many ways to help transform your home into a tangible expression of your dreams.
Keys to SuccessOf course you will need all of the experience you’ve already earned, but success in this role will require more than technical skill. Your skill as a manager who can cultivate a cultural shift and get team buy-in will be key to your success. If your style is more authoritarian you’re probably not a good fit. If, however, your style is collaborative and you have a history of hiring great people and empowering them to demonstrate their skill and talent so they can bring their best to the table, we want to talk to you!
This is a role that cannot be managed from behind a desk. You should be visible and approachable, spending time on the floor, getting to know your employees and everything about the operation, but also be a leader who can get the best from the team and increase efficiency and profitability. You’ll need to be comfortable interacting with all levels from the employees on the floor to corporate leadership. In addition you’ll need to be able to work well with the onsite Sales Manager and team.
Overall, you will be evaluated in three core areas:
- Consistent production of high quality products.
- Adherence to stated lead times and efficiency requirements.
- Effective management of supervisors and plant employees.
Pictured: Boral ProStone® is a manufactured stone veneer that provides the durable beauty and authentic look of natural stone at affordable prices. And the appeal of ProStone® veneer comes without compromise: it meets the most stringent code requirements and is backed by a 50-year limited warranty. When the look of stone is this affordable, your imagination is the only limit.
Build something great™Boral is an international building and construction materials group headquartered in Sydney, Australia. With some A$4.3 billion worth of sales, Boral had 8,334 full-time equivalent employees working across over 550 operating sites as at 30 June 2016.
Boral produces and distributes a broad range of construction materials, including quarry products, cement, fly ash, pre-mix concrete and asphalt; and building products, including clay bricks and pavers, clay and concrete roof tiles, concrete masonry products, timber, plasterboard, and lightweight trim and siding. Boral primarily serves customers in the building and construction industries with operations concentrated in three key geographical markets - Australia, the USA and Asia.
Boral North America has national fly ash and concrete block businesses and a Denver construction materials business. The fly ash business processes and distributes coal combustion products nationally in the USA, including operations at electrical utility plants, fly ash terminals, and sales offices. With cementitious properties, fly ash is used as a cement substitute in the construction industry.
The concrete block business manufactures products in Texas and Louisiana for commercial and residential construction. Boral has a number three market position in the Denver concrete market with five operating concrete batching plants and three sand and gravel deposits.
Boral North America has a leading portfolio of building products manufacturing and distribution operations across USA and Canada. Boral has market leading positions in manufactured stone veneer for residential and commercial cladding markets, with manufacturing and distribution across the USA.
Boral has a full high-end roofing offering, including concrete and clay roof tiles, composite polymer roofing products and stone coated metal roofing.
The Light Building Products business comprises Boral TruExterior® Siding and Trim, which is based on Boral's patented fly ash and polymer composite technologies, as well as PVC or vinyl trim and siding products, including shutters, decking and railing. The Windows business manufactures vinyl trim windows for the new residential construction market.
Formed in November 2016, Meridian Brick is a 50:50 joint venture between Boral Bricks and Forterra Brick, two of North America's most respected brickmaking organizations. Meridian Brick serves construction organizations and suppliers throughout the USA and Canada with a comprehensive portfolio of brick and masonry solutions for commercial and residential structures.