The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Safety Manager opportunity, you will have:
- An associate's degree (preferred)
- 1 to 3 years of experience in a safety management role in a manufacturing facility, including developing and implementing processes, procedures and/or programs
- Extensive knowledge of safety regulations (federal and state) relating to a manufacturing environment
- Excellent training skills and the ability to teach employees various safety topics
- Certification in lock-out/tag-out processes
- Certification in forklift operation and training
- Bilingual skills in English and Spanish
- Proficiency in Microsoft software
- Affiliation with an appropriate safety professional association
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organizational skills
- Exceptional communication skills with management and employees
- The ability to influence others and gain buy-in
You also will need to be willing and able to travel once a month to tour other company facilities. Most travel will be domestic, but Boral has facilities all over the world. Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleZero harm today -- every day
Reporting to the Plant Manager, you will be responsible for all aspects of environmental health and safety management for the plant. This is an individual contributor role, although you will provide guidance to safety teams. You'll focus on safety; there will be some environmental reporting and training responsibilities, but for the most part, environmental is handled by corporate resources.
The facility employs some 125 people and operations include pouring, pulling and packaging stone products; shipping and receiving; equipment maintenance; administrative functions and more. For the most part, the plant operates Monday through Friday, with the first shift handling production, the second doing packaging and the third performing basic maintenance. Larger maintenance projects take place on weekends.
In addition to managing day-to-day safety activities, you will assess all our safety programs, identify opportunities for improvement, and then plan and execute those improvements. This will include working with corporate safety teams, following OSHA regulations and educating employees.
More specifically, you will:
- Ensure and evaluate adherence to the Injury and Illness Prevention Program
- Process and manage all workers’ compensation claims
- Develop job-specific safety training and ensure delivery
- Train and certify forklift operators
- Monitor the Hazard Communications Program, including accuracy and archiving MSDS
- Analyze injury trends and areas of vulnerability
- Coordinate and monitor Loss Control activities
- Supervise incident reporting procedures, and provide weekly accident report to corporate safety team
- Maintain OSHA Log 300
- Conduct bi-weekly plant walk-through inspections and report safety violations or items/areas of concern to the Plant Manager
- Conduct periodic safety inspections and sampling to comply with permits and company policies
- Train workers in safety responsibilities relative to storm water and air pollution prevention, and company environmental stewardship standards
- Coordinate with corporate safety team to assure new and current operations are properly permitted and compliance with permits is carried out
- Maintain plant safety and first-aid supplies and reorder as necessary
- Maintain safety video library
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed
What's in It for YouImportant impact
We have had a company-wide lean initiative underway for several years and we're committed to driving ongoing improvements in processes and culture. We're just focusing on the Holmesville plant, and we believe that we can turn it into a model facility. For example, we are planning to do significant re-tooling over the next 18 months. The initiative is highly visible in the company, and your successes will be recognized.
In this role you will share insights with corporate EH&S professionals and get ideas from other facilities. You'll also partner with peer managers in different functional areas in Holmesville. Over the longer term, success in this position could set you up to advance within the EH&S organization in our company, or you might pursue opportunities in other areas.
Our people are our most valuable resource
If you're looking for a place where you can make a home, be challenged and grow your career, you've found it! We run collaborative teams, respect individual and team contributions and we know people enjoy working here, as demonstrated by employee longevity.
Great place to live and work
If you’re not already familiar with Holmesville, it is a close-knit community with a small-town feel, but you’ll also enjoy all of the amenities of city life nearby. For example, Wooster is just a 20-minute drive, where you’ll find plenty of restaurants and shopping. Venture a little farther and you’ll find we are close to Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Columbus, and the Great Lakes! Relocation assistance may be available to highly qualified candidates.
In addition to a competitive salary we offer a comprehensive benefits package including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances, PTO, and a 401(k) with company match.
Pictured: Cultured Stone® veneers are unique design elements that offer many ways to help owners transform their home into a tangible expression of their dreams.
Keys to SuccessInitially, there will be plenty to do -- implementing processes, training, etc. -- and you should be able to make an impact in short order. That also means there will be a fair amount of paperwork and documentation. However, over time we expect the paperwork aspect to "normalize," allowing you to focus on continuous improvement and benchmarking.
Your technical knowledge of safety will be essential, but just as important will be leadership and interpersonal skills. You will be a change agent and, while you'll find people open to positive change, there always are challenges. You will need to help people understand how changes will benefit them, and motivate them to embrace new processes. You'll also help ensure that safety is deeply embedded in our culture.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Safety Manager, you will:
- Think strategically and execute at a hands-on, tactical level.
- Bring strong relationship-building skills and the ability to establish credibility.
- Spend a fair amount of time out on the floor, interacting with people in all areas of the plant.
- Remain flexible and able to manage multiple activities and priorities.
- Work independently and meet goals autonomously, while also contributing as a team player.
Build something great™Boral is an international building and construction materials group headquartered in Sydney, Australia. With some A$4.3 billion worth of sales, Boral had 8,334 full-time equivalent employees working across over 550 operating sites as at 30 June 2016.
Boral produces and distributes a broad range of construction materials, including quarry products, cement, fly ash, pre-mix concrete and asphalt; and building products, including clay bricks and pavers, clay and concrete roof tiles, concrete masonry products, timber, plasterboard, and lightweight trim and siding. Boral primarily serves customers in the building and construction industries with operations concentrated in three key geographical markets - Australia, the USA and Asia.
Boral North America has national fly ash and concrete block businesses and a Denver construction materials business. The fly ash business processes and distributes coal combustion products nationally in the USA, including operations at electrical utility plants, fly ash terminals, and sales offices. With cementitious properties, fly ash is used as a cement substitute in the construction industry.
The concrete block business manufactures products in Texas and Louisiana for commercial and residential construction. Boral has a number three market position in the Denver concrete market with five operating concrete batching plants and three sand and gravel deposits.
Boral North America has a leading portfolio of building products manufacturing and distribution operations across USA and Canada. Boral has market leading positions in manufactured stone veneer for residential and commercial cladding markets, with manufacturing and distribution across the USA.
Boral has a full high-end roofing offering, including concrete and clay roof tiles, composite polymer roofing products and stone coated metal roofing.
The Light Building Products business comprises Boral TruExterior® Siding and Trim, which is based on Boral's patented fly ash and polymer composite technologies, as well as PVC or vinyl trim and siding products, including shutters, decking and railing. The Windows business manufactures vinyl trim windows for the new residential construction market.
Formed in November 2016, Meridian Brick is a 50:50 joint venture between Boral Bricks and Forterra Brick, two of North America's most respected brickmaking organizations. Meridian Brick serves construction organizations and suppliers throughout the USA and Canada with a comprehensive portfolio of brick and masonry solutions for commercial and residential structures.